Tuesday, April 6, 2010

How quickly things can change

Since returning from Belize, things have happened rapidly! To get to the crux of it, I have interviewed for a job and been offered a position. I am now having the "should I stay or should I go" theme play out with a very real set of consequences. I could leave my "comfy" 40 hour a week job which is... not 100% fulfilling. Or, I could take a salaried job that involves many more hours but also much more stimulation. (And they have better toys.) The initial offer was better than I expected salary-wise but there is little promise of adequate professional time for leadership activities outside of the facility... Salary is not my motivator. Time is.

So I asked a series of questions, and it's a good thing I did. Essentially every question I asked came back with a negative response. Literally, I had a written out best-case-scenario and not a single condition was met. That being said, the opportunity is so good that I'm not eager to jeopardize it with my shoddy negotiation skills. Although a blog on how not to negotiate could be highly entertaining, for everyone but me. ... ... nah, not worth it.

More to come on the negotiations and why I might need more professional time tomorrow night!

Cheers,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment